I was at work. Andrew called around 3pm asking how to get to the emergency room. "What happened?"
Andy: Don't ask me that! How do I get to the emergency room?
Ab: Which one? Adult or child?
Andy: For Christian! He's got a huge gash in his foot & it's bleeding a lot!
I proceeded to give directions, hung up & called my charge nurse to relieve me of my patients so I could meet Andrew at the emergency room entrance. I work in the building next door to it.
When I opened the van door to get Christian out he cried, "I didn't know! I didn't know!"
I carried him in & we didn't have to wait whatsoever. It probably helped that there were smears of blood all over Christian's uninjured leg & some on his face from where he'd been crying & wiping his injury. He looked a bit startling. Anyway, he had a cut on the bottom of his left foot from where he jumped off the couch onto a light bulb. I had to get Christian to give them that much information cuz I still had no idea what had happened. Andrew was able to give a few more details after he finished parking the car.
Christian stopped crying in the triage room cuz he got happily distracted by all the gadgets. We were escorted to a room right away. Another nurse & a resident examined Christian. He got an xray of his foot to make sure there was no glass stuck in it. There was a lot of waiting in the room & watching the movie Cars. Andrew took Georgia home before the stitches were put in. Three people (myself included) held a screaming Christian down while 4 stitches were put in & we headed home around 7:30. Christian finished the story for me on the way home. Andrew had gone downstairs to change out of his church clothes. While he was downstairs, Christian opened the storage closet, got out a spiral lightbulb & began examining a lamp in the living room to see if he could change the bulb (which doesn't need a new bulb at all). The bulb fell on the floor at some point & Christian jumped down accidently landing on it. I think maybe he won't try that again.
So Christian's hobbling around currently, frequently asking me to take his stitches out & reminding me that he doesn't like them. The dressing change this morning didn't go very well. I have to make an appointment with the pediatrician to have them taken out next Monday.
It's rest time now & I really hope Christian falls asleep cuz I'm exhausted.
2 comments:
Okay, I almost have tears just reading this!!! I'll bet you were freaked out! I love his sweet little mind...wanting to see if he could change the light bulb...I can totally hear him recounting the whole story, and telling you frequently how much he doesn't like the stitches. :)
In my defense, I thought our son was in danger of bleeding to death; that is was so short with Abby.
Post a Comment